Tuesday, May 3, 2011

At the library

Today my workteam gathered at the library - instead of the office - to plan the next 6 months at work. The library offers nice meeting rooms for free and it has a good atmosphere to open your minds. Or so they say. Breakfast was included , thanks to the BigBoss,. Whohoo, free breakfast therefore I skipped the breakfast at home and I decided to pop in for a blood test, which I should have done 6 months ago .

I turned up at the library cafe early to wait for the rest of my team. Because I'm a big kid when it comes to needles, I still had my ugly cotton ball under a band-aid on my arm hiding under my jumper. I reckon those cotton balls are out of fashion because they always stick into the wound for 3 days and why don't they just use some good band-aids, I can't comprehend. Anyhow, they are still in use. So there I am, sitting at the corner of the cafeteria, trying to administer my daily multivitamin from my little alufoil sachet. My so called band-aid is forming a white cross so huge that even a Apache could land on my arm. Then suddenly I realised I looked exactly like the guy I've seen one day on the train who tried to hike high giving himself a shot and sipping some transparent fluid from the cup of a bottle. I expected the security guard to turn up next to me at any time with teasers and take me to the basement of the library, smash me into pulps then hand me over to the cops.

As no guard appeared, once everything settled down in my mind I took out my Kindle ereader and started to read. I like gadgets and I like my kindle.
Honestly, if you asked me 2 years ago how many books I have read since I can read, I would have said: eight. And this would include all the books we had to read during the vacations at school. The whole "loving and enjoying reading" started probably 2 years ago when my new colleague disappeared for lunch every day with a book in his arm and I started to get a bit jealous about it. He could be spending his lunch time in a totally different world, flying spaceships to worlds what I couldn't even imagine before, meet with creatures with incredible skills, etc. My wife in fact was reading all the time too, but for some reason I didn't catch it from her. So I got my first sci-fi book from this guy and I enjoyed it. Enjoyed it so much, I started to borrow my wife's books . I most probably was the last person on the face of the Earth to read the Da Vinci Code from Dan Brown... And I quite liked the experience. So, now I like reading and it is all good.

So, back to the library. That morning, I took out my kindle, then I came to the realisation that what I'm doing is not quite right, or is it? Library is like a sacred place, you have to be quiet, walk slowly, and not throwing books around, just take a book from the shelf and read it or take it home to read.

And here I am, reading on my gadget, which was similar to walking into a church and start listening to the Bible on my MP3 player...

Or maybe I'm just scared of places I don't attend too often and mystify them too much... I shall try the MP3 player experience in the church one day to see if it is just me or it has become perfectly okay to keep up with the technology...

No comments:

Post a Comment